Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cold comfort


Woe is she who has a lovely fall/winter coat this season. While mild fall weather is usually not something to complain about, now, on the cusp of November (which is practically, though not technically, winter), I can't help but feel sorry for all those who have a toasty wool coat. I mean, do you wear it regardless of the mercury, just to get some wear out of it? Or do you let it languish in the closet as the weeks and perhaps even the style of your big fall purchase pass you by?

Take today for example. With the temperature in the mid-60s, I happened across several young ladies with the same look: chic, mid-length wool coats accompanied by flushed faces. As someone who gets warm very easily, I know the look quite well. And as a weather watcher, I rarely go wrong because of my trusty when-to-bring-out-what-outwear system:

50 to 60 degrees: blazer/chunky cardigan
40 to 50 degrees: fall coat (boxy, tweed, lined)/trench
20 to 40 degrees: puffer/peacoat
20 and below: winter coat

Fortunately, I am still shopping around for a winter coat. I figure I can take my time this season, seeing as I'm still comfortable wearing a blazer--a whole two coats away from a winter coat.

No comments: