Monday, August 27, 2007

Gold rush


I have nothing against gold. In fact, the first earrings I ever had, studs that were punched into my earlobes during childhood, were gold. But what can I say. I'm a silver person.

I don't know exactly when this life decision came about, but it seems that one gravitates toward the silver or gold camp in the teen years. Up until then there's a sort of indifference or unawareness. Then one day you wake up and one precious metal says cool and understated, while the other conveys self-importance and flashiness, and you pick a side, and that's that.

Anyway, it has always been easy enough to avoid gold, with popular taste increasingly favoring silver-colored-type metals like platinum, particularly for wedding rings (hello, Lucida ring, anyone?). But this summer, stores have been awash in gold. Bags, shoes and clothing with gold hardware, gold bows and gold chains, chains, more chains.

I caved.

It started out small with gold horse-bit-like links on a pair of sandals I fell in love with. Next, a long chain necklace, which I'm wearing today. I still prefer silver, mind you. But today I just felt like being a little flashy.

No comments: