Monday, September 3, 2007

Water, water everywhere


Like most people, I don't drink nearly as much water as I know I should be drinking. I know hydration is good for me and all, but it's always been more of a knee-jerk reaction: If I'm thirsty, I drink water. More on hot days, less when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

So it struck me as odd that for the past few weeks, my first waking thought, my first craving in the morning, has been water. Not the regular H2O variety. Just Glaceau's Vitaminwater, specifically the deliciously pink Power-C (Dragonfruit) or any new flavor I'd seen recently--the latest on my to-try list is Essential (Orange-Orange), which I saw some dude drinking on the subway on the weekend.

Besides the not-too-sweet-in-a-good-way taste, I suppose just seeing others carrying it on the street and the sight of all the luscious colors lined up on store shelves have been enough to infiltrate my subconscious. Usually I'm a sucker for food and drink advertisements (I'll even admit to having tried Smartwater because of the Jennifer Aniston print ad--I know. Lame.), but funnily enough I've never seen a Vitaminwater ad. As far as branding goes, the cheeky tone of the writing on the labels is effective--I always seem to read them and half-smile. Whatever they're doing, it seems to be working.

Unlike the traditional bottled water companies who have been getting a bad rap lately, as tap-water brand Aquafina well knows, you could say Glaceau has been having a good year. There's the whole being bought by Coca-Cola deal, or, more tellingly, a spot feature in that arbiter of style, Vogue. Or so I think...

Call me obsessed, but isn't Daria holding a bottle of Vitaminwater in her pink-bauble-clad hand in the September issue? Must be the Power-C flavor. Or, actually, I suppose it could be the rose-colored Focus (Kiwi-Strawberry). Focus. Must remember to try that one next.

No comments: